Today I want to talk about mixing up the way you cut your card stock and fold your cards. The most common way to cut 8-1/2″ x 11″ card stock to make two cards is to cut it in half at 5-1/2″ along the 11″ side. Then you can fold each piece in half and give it a good crease with your bone folder or score it at 4-1/4″ and fold it to make your card.
Sometimes it’s good to mix it up. Another way to cut 8-1/2″ x 11″ card stock to make two cards is to cut it in half at 4-1/4″ along the 8-1/2″ side. Then you can fold each piece in half and give it a good crease with your bone folder or score it at 5-1/2″ and fold it to make your card. Often when I choose to make my cards this way it’s because I want to wrap ribbon all the way around the front of my card like this…
Dot Paper: 4″ x 4″
Calypso Coral card base: 4-1/4″ x 11″ scored at 5-1/2″
I love how this birthday greeting stamp fits inside the balloon punch! What other birthday greetings do you have that would fit? Sometimes you just have to play around with your stamps and punches to see what works together. Get creative!
Easy Steps to Making This Card:
- Tape your patterned paper to the front of your card base.
- Wrap ribbon all the way around the card front, tie in a neat knot and trim ribbon ends.
- Add greeting and/or main image(s). For this one I stamped & punched out 2 balloons as well as my greeting balloon. I placed them on my card where I wanted them, without taping them down at first, to figure out where I should stamp my balloon strings. Then after I had stamped the strings, I taped the balloons onto the card. The balloon with the words is popped up with Stampin’ Dimensionals.
Easy Peasy! Go ahead, try cutting and folding your card stock different ways and make a card with this kind of layout. Don’t forget that you can also mix up your card folds by turning your card base on it’s side. This card has the fold at the top, but you could switch it up to have your fold to the left… or maybe to the right if you want to send a special card to a lefty!
Supplies Used to Make this Card:
- A Little Foxy Designer Series Paper Stack
- Whisper White 8-1/2″ X 11″ Card Stock
- Calypso Coral 8-1/2″ X 11″ Card Stock
Tools & Adhesive
Ribbon & Trim